7/22/2013

It was the clouds.

Something about the lighting just seemed a bit off as I left the house. The world seemed to be tinted in this pink-yellow hue, like one of those aged photos from a few decades ago: a strange lack of blue. Refreshing, it felt as if I had just stepped out of the music video for "Strange Days" by Matthew Good Band and had begun seeing, after a long period of their absence, red, yellow, and green.

It was the clouds. The sun had just nestled itself under the horizon but its light still shone across the dusky sky. Spread all over were delicately spaced streams of clouds: lit a warm yellow under their bottoms and left darkened on their tops, where the light no longer reached. That light reflected must have been what had cast upon the entire landscape its temporary golden hue.

So there I am, driving westbound on the highway, conveniently emptied to allow me to cruise at a comfortable speed. With the city passing by in this peculiar light and "We Could Die Chasing This Feeling" by Hammock in the background (rad coincidence there with the music video by the way), it didn't feel like I was driving that all-too-familiar route to the hospital, that I had been regularly taking for the past week.

No, for a brief moment, I felt like I was driving in a faraway place, worlds away from all those trivial and not-so-trivial matters that seem to wrack up with such ease in my consciousness. And, for a brief moment, the word "beauty" actually meant something to me.

No comments: